engine light at idle

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Tombee, May 23, 2004.

1. Tombee

Tombee LawnSite Member

I have a brand new (7 hours) mini with the honda motor. After the engine warms up the engine light comes on at idle. My dealer claims that they have checked with the hustler and the honda people both of whom can't offer an explanantion. I read a thread several weeks ago from someone who had the same problem and they said that their dealer told them that honda left a part out of the engine. When I explained this to my dealer he thought I was nuts. I need help.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The earlier problem was related to units produced last spring and summer.
    Your unit being new should not have the same problem.
    Has your dealer checked the oil pressure ?
    Let me know

Pj

3. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Tombee,

You will need to get this machine to an authorized Honda engine dealer and report this problem.

The dealer should then check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to verify that the oil pressure is low. There may be other causes for the oil light to come on (wiring, bad switch).

Please make arrangements to have this done as soon as possible.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products, Inc.
    Honda Engine Distributor for Kansas and Missouri

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Jim,
    Thank you for posting.

Pj

5. Tombee

Tombee LawnSite Member

PJ,
    The dealer has checked the oil presure and found it OK. This only happens when the engine gets hot. I also had two occurances of the motor breaking up and loosing power after 90 minutes of use. The dealer has had it for one week now, and we are no closer to resolving the problem than we were the day I sent it back.

6. Tombee

Tombee LawnSite Member

Just got off the phone with my dealer who explained that Jim Needham (Honda Distributor) contacted him and has agreed to send him some information to help him identify the problem. Thanks Jim! Do you thinnk that the light and the power loos at high engine temperature problems are related?

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is hard to say.
    It is almost impossible to diagnose without seeing the unit in person.
    I know Jim will take care of this, he is our #1 Honda man ! he knows his engines.

Pj

8. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Tombee,

I have sent the information to your Excel dealer. He will then discuss his findings with the local Honda Engine Distributor.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products, Inc.

9. hustler1

hustler1 LawnSite Member

Mine is going on also after the unit is hot and idling.....although the engine has not been acting strange at all. I have to set the idle speed a bit faster at the throttle to get the light to go off. Any suggestions?

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me your info (model, serial, name and dealer info) and I will have Jim from Honda send your dealer any info he can provide on the matter.

Pj