1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Engine Locked ??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lifetree, Dec 25, 2006.

1. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Billy Goat 33" FM3300 walk behind mower with a Briggs INTEK 13 HP engine. I just had it serviced a few weeks ago and it ran fine when I got it home, however, I wanted to clean the deck underneath so I turned it over on it's side (the side opposite the discharge chute). I worked on it for about an hour that evening and left it that way during the course of the next day. When I got home from work I found that most of the oil had leaked out through the top of the engine. Now the recoil won't go past 6 inches and it stops ... I don't know whether the engine has "locked up" or has "siezed up". I can't see how it could have siezed up because it wasn't running, the oil just leaked out. Any thoughts, ideas or comments ??
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You have oil in the top of the cylinder. Liquid doesn't compress. Take the spark plug out and crank it over to clear the oil. Dry the plug with a torch and stick it back in. Check and fill the oil. Try to start it. If it doesn't start in like 15 pulls. Re-dry the plug and try again.
  3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Most likely you're liquid locked(cylinder full of oil). Remove the sparkplug and pull recoil until you evacuate the oil in the cylinder. Do this in an area where you can control the splattering oil. I'm not sure on the configuration of your engine but you might check the condition of the air filter as it could likely be full of oil as well. When and if you can get it started it will smoke and you may also have oil in the muffler assembly which will contribute to the smoke.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, the engine is hydro-locked. It will make a mess when you clean it out and it will smoke like you will not believe when you you do get it started. Remember when you have to turn an engine on its side for any reason do so that the air filter and spark plug are at the highest point or you will get the engine hydro-locked and will ruin the air filter as well. I see this all the time people carrying mowers in the truck of the car.
  5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like the issues identified above are correct ... thank you for the feedback.