engine mount patterns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was reading that thread about the guy with the Lesco Z2 that had a bad Kawasaki on it. Then someone mentioned that Kawi was the only option on that mower.

So I was wondering, since I've never changed an engine, do all the brands have a different mounting bolt pattern or something? Is this why some MFG's only offer one engine choice? I mean they use one engine brand so they can bore the same mounting pattern.

Or are the mounting patterns universal for all similar size/type engines? Just curious.........OK and bored....

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Engine bolt patterns and shaft sizes are generally the same for all engines in a class.

12 to 17
    17 to 19
    20 to 30

For example say you have a 13 horse Kohler on a Exmark Metro and you want to put a 17 Kawasaki twin on it. It's pretty much a direct swap except for the wiring, fuel line and throttle control.

The bigger engines are pretty much the same way.

Some mower manufactures have deals set up with engine manufacturers so that is all they use. Some mower manufactures believe in only one brand which is a little shortsighted since some of us believe in another brand (hint, hint Hustler).