1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Engine Oil Pressure on Slopes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Aug 4, 2005.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I was cutting the sides of a drainage ditch that had slopes of over 45 degrees. I noticed that my 12HP Kaw valves started to ping. I immediately went down to the bottom of the ditch and pinging went away. I then tried to do the slope with the oil filter side of mower on the low side and that seemed okay. So now I am wondering if it okay to run on these slopes with the oil filter side down or is that bad also.
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

You should always keep the oil filter on the low side of the hill, remember most mower engines run on less then 2qrt, So you want to make sure the oil pump pickup is always covered and keeping the oil filter on the low side is just the easiest way to ensure you will have oil pumping to all your critical internal parts. :)
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is the reason why I use synthetic racing blend in all my equipment AND my cars - It's like using slick 50, valve ticks hardly slow me down other than I know I should check the oil sometime. The use of regular or standard motor oil can and will result in engine seizure, sooner or later. Trust me, I know.

So either use synth.blend or pure synth. With the blend, I change oil once / year in the Kohlers.