engine oil primer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matt223, Aug 3, 2003.

1. matt223

matt223 LawnSite Member

does anyone know of and electric oil pump to prime your truck engine before it starts for all those very short trips between jobs or moving around the trailer. if they even exist could someone let me know where i might find one.

2. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

What you're looking for is called a pre-luber. It does exist

Moroso makes one (called an accumulator) that is a tank that stores oil against spring pressure. The spring forces oil out of the tank when you lose oil pressure (for racecars or off-road vehicles operating at extreme angles). It can be set up as a pre-luber as well.

I remember seeing an electric unit as well once, but I can't remember who made it. You could also fab your own using a starter off an electric start mower engine (6 volt motor is light and compact and works great on 12 volts as well). You would need an external oil pump like the ones used in dry sump race engines.

Look at the Moroso unit and see if it's for you

3. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

here ya go

You can also help your engine a lot by using synthetic oil. It clings to the internals much better than conventional oil and it also has better detergents to wash away the corrosive byproducts of combustion that are what really cause engine wear