Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by metro36, Aug 22, 2006.

1. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I need to change the oil in my 21'' toro w/b mower. I am wondering which oil to use. I don't know whether to use 30 weight or a oil made specially for small engines. I am stuck can someone help he out.

Thanks in advance.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Any good quality SAE 30 should be just fine.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with pugs here, Leave the corner convenience store oils alone.

4. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Oh Brother! Don't get me started.
    Have you read this little 9 page article? Link to other pages near bottom of page 1.
    Some of the best (?) info is about air/oil filters, and _NOT_ oil itself. http://www.autoeducation.com/autoshop101/oil-change-1.htm

5. Restrorob

Looks like I done opened a can of worms posting that link. :hammerhead: :laugh:

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Well.....What do you respect?
    It's good stuff IMHO.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Synthetic 30 weight is what I would use. Been using sythetics since the 80s and never had an oil related problem on any type of engine

8. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

Unbelievable stuff......Very easy to read and understand. Me being a complete noob to engine maintenance (tired of paying price for simple stuff to get done) that put into perspective what I have heard a lot of people talk about but never quite got the whole story. Thanks for the link!

NOW, I have a Chevy 2500, whats a top notch air filter for that bad boy? Any suggestions?

9. Restrorob

Having been in the auto biz for over 12 yrs. I prefer Fram filters on everything, Been using them for over 25 yrs. without any problems.

BTW, What part of Tampa you in ? I was born and raised down there, It got to be too big so I got out of there back in 1991. Hate to say but I don't miss a thing.

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Is that good stuff, or what!
    I'm sure it just can not _all_ be true, there has to be some bs in there somewhere, I simply can't find _ANY_ faults in the sales pitch!