engine oil ??????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nokomower, Aug 15, 2002.

1. nokomower

nokomower LawnSite Member

I am a auto mechanic by trade and I am begining to start my own lawn care business. Being in Florida with the high heat and tough grass, I use a straight 40 wt. due to sand and dust and sever service every 50 hrs filter and oil . I have a Grasshopper 614
    18 hp b/s and a exmark 25 hp kohler. I was told by many shops about amsoil synthetic oil and bypass filter kits for my exmark but the cost of $250 for this oil filter kit seems high. The oil wether it is conventional or synthetic is only good until the saturation point is reached and the life of the oil is then over. The only way to know this is to have the oil analyzed. Other l/c owners say they go 150 hours with amsoil and bypass filter kits I think a conventional oil and filter changed before saturation would be equivelent. The manufacturer of the engines researched and analyzed the oil and amount of time between changes. My question is
    With the cost of down time and repairs are there any advantages of using synthetic or conventional oil????? I was told amsoil doesn't remove heat from air cooled engines. Is this true?
    Thanks for any imput.

2. dynodp1

dynodp1 LawnSite Member

why are you using a 40w ... most manufactures recommend a 30w on temps from40 degrees and up... 10w-30 on tems under 40 to 5 degrees or so...
    a 40w oil is to thick , it'll cause excessive wear during start up...... especially in colder weather.... you may also find it harder to start with the 40w .... use a detergent oil

stay away from multiviscocity oils... and no extra additive stuff..... they are designed for cars, not the hotter temp air cooled engines...

synthetics only cost more, and don't give you any more extended service time.....

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Your Kohler 25 calls for 10-30 oil. If you go to Amsoil,Valvoline or Mobile or you will see that in all tests synthetic oil out performs regular oils. They are slicker and can run at higher temps without breaking down. That causes less wear on components. Yes, it does cost more but you can run it longer also. I would suggest to break in your engines with regular oil for at least 100 hours. Then run synthetic. Check out the major manufacture oil sites and read for yourself. I also use 100 to 1 Amsoil 2 stroke in all my equipment with no smoke or carbon build up. I have a 1971 Lawnboy that has run on 100 to 1 oil since about 1977 without any internal engine problems. Yes I have replaced the coil and points several times.

4. khouse

I copied this from a leading manufacturer of engine oils. Maybe this will help.

Inside Synthetic Technology

The power behind synthetics lies in the basic building blocks that make up every SynPower product. Synthetics are created with molecules specially made, or synthesized, for improved performance.

In contrast, conventional products use naturally occurring substances such as mineral oil. The molecules found in such substances are very diverse and some may have "weak links." Therefore, they are more likely to break down under the extreme conditions modern engines can dish out. But SynPower motor oil molecules are specifically designed to be more consistent in structure and more stable. The weak links have been eliminated. So you can expect SynPower synthetic motor oil to resist breakdown and perform significantly better than conventional motor oils - even under extreme conditions.

The Big Difference

Conventional products, such as motor oils, are based on mineral oil, which comes from crude oil. Crude oil is formed over thousands of years from decomposing trees and other organic materials under extreme pressure and heat deep within the earth.

Crude oil contains hundreds of thousands of different types of molecules that come in various shapes and sizes. The lubricating qualities of these molecules can range from very good, to okay, to not so good, to downright awful. Through the refining process, the most "unsuitable" ingredients are removed to produce the mineral oils.

The refined mineral oils still contain a variety of different molecules that have different sizes, shapes and lubricating qualities. Therefore, they will perform at different levels, break down at different rates, and be affected differently by heat, pressure and other factors inside your engine.

In contrast, synthetics use molecules made (or synthesized) to fit a specific molecular design. Through a variety of chemical processes, molecules in synthetic products can be consistently made with the right shapes or sizes, or to provide specific performance characteristics or to enhance lubricating quality. In fact, the molecules used in SynPower products are made to provide the ultimate in consistency and performance.

Because its synthetic molecules are "made to order," your SynPower Brake Fluid can have a higher wet boiling point than ordinary DOT 3 brake fluids - reducing the chance of vapor forming in your brake system. SynPower Fuel System Treatments can have just the right mix of molecules to better target and remove specific types of build-ups, such as hard carbon deposits on top of intake valves. And SynPower engine oil can withstand extremes better than even the best conventional motor oils, giving you the ultimate protection.

5. dynodp1

dynodp1 LawnSite Member

synthetic oils may last longer in a car that has an oil filter to clean the oil, but in most small engines this is not the case... the ONLY way to remove contaminants < dirt and engine wear particle> is too drain that oil warm while these contaminates are suspended in the oil.... so ya still gotta drain it at regular manufatures guidlines , thus you aren't getting you're synthetic monies worth...
    use a straight 30W in temp above 40 degrees and drain every 25-50hours and you'll be good to go...

and i'm not convinced that sythetics are designed for higher temp aircooled engine anyhow...

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Synthetic motor oils were originally developed because conventional oils break down too easily under high temperatures. Simple, plain and fact.

Kohler V-twin engines should only be run with 10w30 oil. Read your owners manual.

Synthetic oil, whether it's Amsoil, Mobil 1 or whatever, do carry away engine heat and also actually reduce temperatures.

Most of the 4 stroke engines that are used by the people who frequent this site have oil filters.

The Amsoil bypass filter setup should not cost anywhere near $250. The filter runs around $30, the filter adapter is $20 and the hoses are $20. You change the filter once a year.

7. khouse

even engines without a filter will benefit by using synthetic oils. Where usually talking about 1 to 2 quarts. These engines run hot and syn oil is better like Richard said.

8. grasmo

grasmo LawnSite Member
    from fl

yes there are advantages to synthetics, but it is only as good as the person maintaining the unit. do you wipe the dipstick area before you pull it, clean the filler cap before you remove it, keep your air filter in good shape, and make sure no trash falls in the carb when you change it? if you do it will work great for you. as far as it not removing heat, that's gay. it wouldn't be oil if it didn't. oil cools, cleans, seals, and lubricates. and to add to that, AMSOIL synthetic molecules are symmetrical vs. asymmetrical with other oils. round on round is less friction which is less heat.