Engine on new mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 29, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you get a 25hp briggs or pay more for a 19hp kawasaki? Its alot less power for alot more money......
    Opinions????

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Is the 19HP Kawi on a John Deere? If so do it.

3. stevenf

no, Im referring to hustler, toro, scag. all of them have options of kolher,briggs, kawasaki.. briggs is ALOT more hp and cheaper.
    WHY would you pick the kawasaki?

4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

i would pick kohler if it was the 23 air cool, or the efi motors. these are both great. kawasaki really shines in the liquid cooled department, and the briggs vangaurd is great. as to answer you question, it sounds like somebody has numbers backwards on paperwork.

5. Bare30

Bare30 LawnSite Member

I bought a tiger cub a month ago w/ 26hp briggs and i like it. I test drove one w/ the 19 kaw. and it bogged down where the 26 didn't, can't tell you about long term but if it's taken care of it should be fine.

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If it's an ELS or other non-Vanguard Briggs I'll take the far smaller Kawasaki. If it is a Vanguard then the decision gets a lot harder, but think I would take a 22 Vanguard over a 19 Kawi. Vanguard 25 over Kawi 19 -- sure, no question about it.

7. stevenf

Not about what vanguard is???
    The paperwork isnt backwards, two or three different dealers were the same.
    The scag dealer went as followed:
    Tiger cub- 26hp briggs 48" $5,999.00/ 19hp kawasaki 48" $6,799.00
    Freedom Z 26hp briggs ELS 48" $4,999.00/19hp kawasaki 48" $5,299.00

Talked to the guy about it two and he said because the kawasaki is more commercial built and long lasting, some people say more torque to.
    What do yall think?

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Briggs and Stratton have really gotten a bad reputation following the first release of the Vanguard motors over fifteen years ago.
    Now, with-in the last six to eight years, B&S has really gotten their act together and these motors are highly under rated, in my opinion.
    The Kawasaki motors are well built and reliable as well, but for the money the B&S is a much better deal.