Engine Opinions, Please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GPDesign1, Dec 2, 2004.

1. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

We're bringing out a version of our Quick 36 mower for next season with a 16HP Premium engine and I'd really appreciate some feedback from you guys.

Here's the deal:

We were planning on using a Briggs 16 ELS (Extended Life Series) engine which has great features. It has all the cool stuff you expect in a commercial-grade engine. Sleeve, heavy flywheel, electric start, big charging system, platinum plug, pressure lube w/ spin-on filter, fuel pump w/filter, washable air filter, big muffler, etc. World-Class product.

We've also been talking with Kohler on and off. They visited with us at GIE, looked at our machine and have made us a price on their 16. Basically the same specs as the Briggs. Pricing for the Kohler came in less than the Briggs (by a good bit) which helps us keep our price down for you.

Later, Briggs came back and matched the Kohler price.

Both are excellent engines, but we want to build what you want to buy. So tell me; Briggs ELS or Kohler?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Better/

PS: The results of this poll will be sent directly to the VP of Commercial Sales at both Briggs and Kohler when it's finished.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If it's between those two I'd go with Briggs. Had bad luck with Kholers at the school district. Never really been a Briggs fan either, personally I'd go for a Kawi but that's just my personal opinon.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Based on recent info about Briggs newer comm'l motors, I wouldn't be afraid to use them. But, I don't know what others will think hearing about a Briggs on your machine. Why not use both and see which sells better for next season, then you will have data for the following years.

4. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I'm not a fan of either engine, why not honda or kawasaki?
    honestly if i was looking to buy a 36" and they only offered kohler & briggs i would look at a brand that offered honda or kawi.

5. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I wouldnt buy anything other than a Kohler or a Kawasaki.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

gary--I don't have ownership experience with either the briggs or kohler engines you are talking about.

but for a nice mower, the kohler has more name recognition. so I dunno.

the briggs motors you are talking about aren't the same as those on the tractor type chain store mowers, are they??? thanks.

GEO :)

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It would have to be Kohler. I am a huge fan of enhanced air cleaner abilities and there is currently a turbo precleaner available for the smaller Kohlers. There is nothing for Briggs engines.

8. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

[​IMG]

I hear that Pratt & Whitney is adapting this for the new 21" Craftsmen... The problem seems to be with the rear bagger attactment and keeping it from catching on fire. Tim Allen would be proud ;-)

9. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a Briggs Vanguard, good motor, any other model briggs you'll be playing mechanic, not landscaper!

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For the same price you should definately go with Kohler. They both may have the same features but when it comes to power the 16 Kohler would leave the 16 Briggs in the dust. Kohler builds a much better engine and even better than any Japanese engine. We won't buy a mower that doesn't have a Kohler engine.