Engine or Deck Problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Nature's Edge, May 7, 2007.

1. Nature's Edge

Nature's Edge LawnSite Member

New here so please help. I got a Lazer Z Commercial 48" with a 18hp Vanguard last May has about 40 hours on it. The problem is when I have not used the mower in a few days when I try to start it she will take anywhere from 10 to 15 seconds to start is that normal? Next problem is when I engage the PTO I will either kill the engine or throw the belt every time untill I let the engine warm up about 3-5 min. every time is this normal?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Well here is what I can tell you. I don't think anything sounds to concerning. It looks as if you may need to choke cable adjusted and the idle rpm's looked at.
    The choke could be the issue for hard starting. Many of these engines are cold blooded, so things look okay there. If the engine is killing when you engage the blades you need to throttle up more. You should be about 2500 to 3000 rpm upon engagement. This is most likely the reason for the belt jumping off.
    I would get your machine into the dealer to have them check it out. Have them give me a call when it gets in and I can go over it with them. Thanks Fred.
  3. Nature's Edge

Nature's Edge LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I am already at full rpm when I engage the PTO but the engine really struggles somtimes dieing and sometimes throwing a belt. I heard it was bad to engage the PTO at full throtle because it hurts the engine shaft to much stress from a dead start or something like that. Thanks for input!