Engine Power Tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dixie Bluegrass, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Dixie Bluegrass

Dixie Bluegrass LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
    Just wanted to give you my 2 cents on how to keep your machines running in top condition:
    1. Marvel Mystery Oil. I could go on and on about this stuff. I use it to get rid of all that trash in the gas tank. I put it in an old 45 chevy pickup that had a frozen engine and about a month later it freed it up. Tore that same engine down and the cylinder walls were cleaner than a mirror. I put it in all my handheld equipment, mowers, and even the truck. I notice a considerable improvement in engine performance after treatment every single time. Best of all, you can put it in the gas tank or the crankcase. And it is pretty cheap too.
    2. Keep air filters clean. I usually try to use one filter per machine per year but I keep it clean as I can. I like the oil foam prefilters that you can clean once a month. Those really last a long time. The regular paper filter can be cleaned with compressed air. Don't use water on paper filters.
    3. BOSCH spark plugs. I didn't think that a different brand spark plug would do any better until I got a NGK plug to replace the bosch. I couldn't figure out why the blower seemed to lose some power until I replaced the plug with a new bosch. There is a difference. Try for yourself. I don't buy anything else but bosch plugs.
    4. Spark arrester screen. This is a big one. The screen is suppose to "arrest" or suppress any spark or flame that exits the muffler. I was working on an old Tanaka trimmer that would not reach high rpm at all. After several calls to Tanaka I discovered that the screen was completely clogged. I pulled it out, cleaned it with a brass brush, put it back in, cranked it up and had new trimmer almost. It really had the power back! So check up on those spark arrester screens
    These are some good ole tips to help keep those engines running in top condition. Your machines will work better and you will save some money at the gas pump.
  2. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Never thought a different brand of plug would make a difference but I will give it a try.

Had the same experience with a Stihl blower and the spark arrester screen. Good advice.

Used to live in Pelham for a bit. Alabama is a beautiful place.
  3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe I am living in the dark ages or something but I have never heard of marvel mystery oil! I will look for it and give it a try.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

RE #4. The first thing I do when I get new blowers/trimmers is tear out the spark arrestor screen.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your comments about air filters may be misleading. Operating conditions dictate service frequency. I only run my w/b 600-700 hours per season. But, I go through several paper cartidges. The prefoam cleaner is cleaned at least once per week, and sometimes every day (Fall leaf cleanup work). I can't imagine what it would look like after one month.

Also, there are many posts on LS rejecting the notion of blowing out paper air filter cartidges with compressed air. I think the issue is embedding dirt in the paper with the air, making the air flow more difficult. Cleaning them off with an air compressor may get off the surface dirt, but may do more harm by clogging the fine air passages in the paper.

With regard to spark arrestor screens on handheld 2 cycle engines, I think probably most of us have pulled them out not long after using a new piece of equipment. You are right about them getting easily clogged, and do require attention, or way or another.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I remember using marvel mystery oil on my junk cars when I was a teenager.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is also the issue of compressed air actually ripping the fibers the element. You can actually do much more harm then good by blowing out the air filter. Just tapping the air filter should be able to remove any accumulated debris.
  8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Marvel Mystery oil for years, in small quantities, and have had no engine problems at all. Will continue to do so
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with jsf343, I must be living inthe dark ages too, because I've never heard of marvel mystey oil either ... but now I'll definately look for it.

Thanks for sharing these insights !!
  10. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

We too remove the spark arresters Before the engines are ever fired the first time or at least after we leave the dealership and before we ever use in the field . If the engine has a standard paper filter we change at least once a month or more and pre filter is cleaned at least every week or daily if conditions are very dirty /dusty . Dont know about mystery oil but had someone tell me about sea foam anyone? also does anyone know about Lucas Oil upper engine treatment ? Think thats what its called 5.25 ounces treats 25 gallons of fuel/gas