1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Engine pull

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KK, Feb 13, 2001.

1. KK

KK LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to pull the 350 engine on an '83 C20 with a manual trans. Is it easier to pull the tranny with the engine or separate the engine from it? How much hassle is it to clear the imput shaft and get it lined up when going back in?
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

KK, my opinion would be to pull engine/trans as a unit. There's lots of room on a Chevy pickup to do this, it is a lot easier to line up & install the trans when both are out, unless you have a vehicle hoist and a trans jack.

1975 GMC C-35
  3. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics LawnSite Member

I agree with 75, do it as a unit. It also makes cleaning and inspecting the tranny and linkages easier. It's only two bolts holding the tranny mount to the cross member, but don't forget the disconnect the shifter and the driveshaft.
  4. gitzenlandscape

gitzenlandscape LawnSite Member

I think it depends on if it's 2WD or 4WD. I fit's 4WD I think it might be easier in the truck than trying to manuever engine, tranny, and transfer case out of the engine bay. It will always be easier to line things up out of the truck but it may be more hassle getting everything in and out together.
  5. 75

Good point you mentioned regarding 4x4 vs 2wd - I was going by the "C20" designation, the C prefix denoting a 2wd truck and a K one indicating 4x4. You're right about the transfer case making it difficult to manouver the whole assembly of engine/trans/Tcase out of the engine bay.

1975 GMC C-35
  6. KK

KK LawnSite Member

Yes, its 2wd, and I have a cherry picker and 2 floor jacks. Isn't the 4-spd trans very heavy? If I were to separate the trans, how far forward does the engine have to go to clear the imput shaft, clutch, etc?
  7. 75

I'm in the "guesswork" mode right now, but I would think about 4 to 6 inches forward to clear the input shaft. It might also be a bit of a headache to line things back up on reassembly. I don't think the 4 speed will be much heavier than a T400, I'm still leaning heavily toward pull engine/trans as a unit.

1975 GMC C-35
  8. beerandcope

beerandcope LawnSite Member

i just recently pulled my engine (a 350 form a np203) to change the clutch in it it had to come out about 6 inches to miss the input shaft but other than that it was about a 1/2 hour job.
  9. KK

KK LawnSite Member

I have some time to think about this because it will be pulled in the driveway (won't fit in the garage) and the weather took another turn for the worse.
  10. Sunshine

Sunshine LawnSite Member

I just recently got mine going. It takes a big garage for them extra doors. Kind of hard getting used to driving it again too- it had been down for 3 years, everything else on the road looks so small. Everythings great with mine except my mileage went way down, my old engine gave me 13-14 on road trips, made a trip to Denver and back the other day and couldn't even get 10. This engine only has about 5 or 600 miles on it now so maybe the mileage will improve some with age. Glad I had a garage to do my swap in as long as it took. anyway good luck. Mark