Engine Question for Terry

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by theyatesies, May 17, 2003.

1. theyatesies

theyatesies LawnSite Member

I have an extra 18 hp kohler command engine for my Lazer hp. Tell you another time why. I was wondering if that engine would work on a walk behind. I used to have a Metro HP 36" belt drive with a 15 hp kohler on it. It was not an electric start(pull cord). Is there a way to make that electric start 18hp engine work on the walk behind? Just curious.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the post.

I suppose you can do just about anything if you want to take the time, spend the money and the effort but it may really be feasible in this case.

The V-twin is big, really big compared to the single. You'd need to add an electric start wiring harness, solenoid, key switch, batter cables etc. You may be able to use the same blade engagement but you'd need to compare crankshaft sizes, length etc. It's unlikely that the engine locating holes are correct for this engine so some drilling would be required.

I'm not sure if Kohler makes a muffler that would fit this type of package but you could always run straight pipes. It sounds really cool like a Harley at first but then the noise becomes rather deafening after a while, small children run for cover, the neighbors complain and a bunch of bikers begin circling the block looking for a customer cycle shop.

After all that time, energy and effort I'm still not sure you'd like the package. The Kohler twin is heavy and I'm not sure how you'd like all that added weight on the rear of a belt drive machine. Chances are the balance would be a little off and I'm not sure what the belt drive would do in damp conditions.