1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

engine question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, Jul 6, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

My partner and I bought a new 2 cycle toro mower today. We took it out to a job and it would nor run right. It was real loud and it keep shutting off.
    We took it back to the dealer and found out he put straight gas in the tank.

I ran it for about 20 minutes with the wrong gas. What effect if any would this have on the engine? I think my partner and I will take it back and ask for a new one, after all it cost 900.00
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be the same as you drving your car or truck without OIL (since it didn't have the oil mixture necessary)...it can and will burn up the engine. Yes go get a new one.
  3. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

the crazy thing is that the owner poured from a gas can that was labled mixed gas. Come to find out a mechanic put straight gas in a can titled mixed gas.
    At the time this was all happening I was just thinking about getting back to our route. I'll find out how they act when I take it back tomorrow.
  4. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

I've run a 2 cycle Lawnboy with no oil for over an hour with no ill affects. The machine runs fine to this day. I assume the engine parts had enough oil coating them to save it. A new machine would not. Phone or e-mail Toro if the dealer won't take it back.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Do not accept that mower,the engine will never last the full rated life.The first few hrs breakin is the most important part of an engines life,and to run without oil,forget it,and get a new one.They messed up,not you,so let them eat it,so you can get what you paid for as far as engine life.There is not enough oil in a 2 stroke to run for more than a minute without oil in gas.A bet the cylinder is scored,rings worn,the piston scuffed and hot spotted,main and rod bearings are blued,and ruined,you dont want it now,believe me.
  6. John is right the machine is complete junk.

IHMO you should get you money back and buy a used 44 or 52 Toro
    walkbehind for a few dollars more.

Stay away from dealers. Most of them are NFG. Buy the factory sevice manual and fix your equipment.

Although I did buy a new 21" commercial toro in 1989. It still runs to this day. The deck, handle, and the carb has been replaced in that time.