1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Engine Question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by bob, Jul 28, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Terry, Any chance that Emark will put the Turbo Daihatsu Diesel (31hp)in the Lazers next year? I'm getting feedback from members that say the Daihatsu Diesel in the 72" deck is under powered.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the e-mail. I guess there's always a chance that we'll offer the Turbo Diesel but at this time I don't think we'll offer it anytime soon.

The general feedback we get on the non-turbo diesel has been pretty good. If the air filter is clean it generally has good power. The other thing we've seen is that this engine is extremely "tight" when new. Your going to need around 150 hours on the engine before it's broke in and begins to build good power. That's about 3 times what it takes for most of the twins. Time will tell but I think that's just a sign of an engine that's designed to live a lot longer than most.

The other option is to go with the 31-hp gas. More power, more readily available fuel, less expensive, nearly identical fuel consumption rates, and the same life expectancy.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

That's The One i Got! THANK YOU!
    Johnny G. Lawnone Ct.:cool: :cool:
  4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

the 31 gas will last just as long as the 27 diesel? I thought that one of the points of diesel was that it lasts longer than gas engines, more power, and better fuel economy?

Are you saying they are the same w/ these two engines or all gas and diesels?
  5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I corrected my post regarding fuel consumption. The 31 HP gas will use about .30-.40 gallons of fuel per hour than the diesel. More power generally equals more fuel. As far as longevity goes the short block or nearly everything except the induction, heads and ignition are nearly identical if not identical. Daihatsu rates both engines equally in regards to life expectancy.

Keep in mind that diesel engines have built their reputations for reliability on extremely heavy-duty designs with excellent air filtration and very strict maintenance requirements. The air filtration alone on most diesels should make them last longer than most gasoline engines.

Both the 27 diesels and the 31 gas have benefits and both are good engines. Just as an example, in some states you can buy off highway diesel and save a few bucks on fuel taxes. You can also use fuel tax credits for gasoline but that's just one more thing to keep track of. Also some large landscape contractors have bulk diesel fuel storage at the shop. On the other hand the gas burner does build more power and for some. How much power is really enough?

It all comes down to preferences just like Kawasaki vs. Kohler or Ford vs. Chevy. WhatÂ’s right for me may not be right for you but both of us can be happy.