engine reliability

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big E, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Big E

Big E LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a Dixie Chopper. Would you recommend a Kohler or Generac engine and why? One is a 50"cut with a 20 hp Kohler (40 hrs.) for $4500 and the other is a 60" cut with a 27 hp Generac (45 hrs.) for $6000. Which would you buy?

Big E

2. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

I would go with the kohler. their more commonly used throughout the mowing world, which means greater availability and cheaper parts. Kohler Command engines are some of the best out there, and should last you well over the 2000 hour mark.

3. Big E

Big E LawnSite Member

Thanks, the dealer said they have yet to work on a Generac in the 2 or 3 years they have had them on the Dixie. What type of blowers and trimmers, etc. do you use?

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the generac.

5. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

imho generac=generic. doesn;t mean it's inferior, you just have no clue who built it...maintain it and you should be fine

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Briggs ownes Generac

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Generac engines are built by Generac here in the US. Generac is much better known in the generator world and that is where their engines started, as generator engines. Dixie approached them a few years ago and they colaborated on engine development for mowers. The complaints were many at first but seem to have dwindled as time went on and the problems were ironed out.

8. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Don't stay away from 60" machine because of the Generac engine. Parts should not be an issue. They make a great engine. I have a 17,000 watt Generac Whole House Generator. It has a 30 Hp Generac engine. I did extensive research prior to purchasing it (And no it did not come from Home Depot). The Generac engine is manufactured for 3000 Hrs. They are not as well know but have been around for many of years. They claim one of their lines became the Vanguard Engine. Check out their web SITE.

http://www.generac.com/PublicPDFs/0170580SBY.pdf

9. Big E

Big E LawnSite Member

What about blowers and trimmers as far as reliability?

10. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think Briggs owns Generac. Generac sold their portable line of generators to Briggs a year or so ago. An earlier engine looks like it became the Vanguard.