Engine replacement on Scag WB

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mmacsek, Aug 20, 2006.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a Scag WB about a year and a half ago and runs/cuts fine. The problem is the engine leaks oil. This is getting big time. The engine is a Kawasaki 17hp recoil start. I had the engine in the shop preseason and the engine case gasket was replaced and the one cylinder head,cracked. When I got it back it was fine. As the season went on the problem is getting worse. It leaves puddles and the engine and deck is covered. I don't feel like spending more money fixing it so I am considering replacing the engine. The replacement will run about 1100. This is the first and last used mower I buy and don't want to purchase new if at all possible. Finally, My question. What is involved to installing a new engine? Thanks for any help. Matt

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The hardest part MAY be the removal of the crankshaft pulley, They tend to rust on the crank over years of use, The rest is nothing just throttle cable, 4 mounting screws and the wire harness and fuel hose.

3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

yes, what Rob said. in fact, with shop labor rates at 80 an hour and more, more than once if it didnt come right off, it was cheaper to buy a new pulley. no provision for a puller on most, many are stamped steel and bend easy, and they didnt have anti seize when new.

4. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Have you attemptedto determine where the oil is coming from-As in more specific than "the engine?"

5. mmacsek

The last time I cleaned it off the oil leaked where the engine "block" bolts together. This leak coats the engine on top of the deck. There is also a spot(s) underneath because there are puddles about 2" in dia. on the floor. The engine block gasket was replaced but stated again. I run 30W oil if that makes a difference. I will clean it again this week to see something else. Hope this helps. Thanks again guys. Matt

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Matt, Can you post the model numbers off this engine ?

7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Inspect for pan gasket leak but a considerable amount of oil can also leak past the governor arm seal. I've also experience oil leaking down the v in the block from a bad gasket on the breather cover.

If this an FH500V the leaks described are the most common.

Dutch

8. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

if its leaking from the pan gasket you should take it back to whoever replaced it over the winter because they oviously didnt do it right and its leaking again

if the engine runs fine you should consider fixing the leak as it would be ALOT cheaper than replacing the engine and yes the engines are very easy to replace and ive used a press and heat to get off stuck pulleys

i also have a kaw fh500v that leaks alittle but one of the things i found leaking was the o-ring on the oil drain extention i replaced that and it cut way down on the leak but im still getting a slow leak somewhere but its not enough to worry about

9. mmacsek

I will get model numbers tomorrow. The mowe is at our rental garage and with the dry weather I didn't cut today. thanks for the responses and i will be in touch tomorrow. Tthanks Matt

10. mmacsek

It is a Kawasaki 17HP FH500V BS09. E/No. FH500VA07748. Thanks Matt