1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Engine RPM / Blade PTO

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJL50, May 27, 2007.

1. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

Was told by a friend that you should only turn on your blade PTO with the engine set to low. I Have always thought you should give the engine full throttle. What is the correct way or does it not make a difference?

This is on a Toro ZTR
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Half throttle is probably best. But we all know that while mowing and in a hurry we engage it at full throttle most of the time.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with khouse on half throttle, Had a customer keep coming in with snapped PTO belts, I couldn't find any reason for it. After drilling the customer I found he had been shutting the blades off when going across his driveway then turning them back on at full tilt.
    It really is a shock on the belt engauging at wide open.
  4. need2cutgrass

need2cutgrass LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new Ferris IS1500 with 52"deck/25Kaw. I understand the reasoning behind engaging the blades at about half throttle(it makes sense), but in the Ferris owner's manual it clearly states to engage the blades at full throttle.

Any body have any idea why they would want you to do that?:confused:
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

To sell more belts ?