engine seized?? help!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by herbdarrah, May 8, 2008.

1. herbdarrah

herbdarrah LawnSite Member

just finished up mowing for the day. smelled burning, checked oil and saw that the cap was off. no oil in tank pretty much. i have a 52' wright stander. it stalled when i put throttle low.tried to restart, nothing. tried to start at first but now is acting like a dead battery.if it's seized up, do you think it can be saved?being a new machine and just getting done cutting with it? a quick fix maybe... not a total engine replacement? help!

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well if it cranks over its not siezed. if it doesnt crank start looking for a new engine

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

let it cool down, this will allow the clearances to loosen up as the metal shrinks. add oil to bring it to full. and see if it starts up... if it starts, you may have dodged a bullet...but you definitively took a few hours off the life of the engine.

I would take it home change the oil/filter, and run it for a 10 hours or so, and change the oil again to hopefully get any more metal out of the oil system.

Come winter time or a slow week in the summer, I'd pull the head and check the cylinder and maybe even pull th engine to drop the pan and check the crank/rod.

easy few hours work...

Id also run Dino oil, or even some "break-in oil" to help the parts wear themselves back in again, and then switch over to synthetic