Engine seized up...$&#(!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lildog132, Jun 12, 2008.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

Yesterday, my 15hp Kohler engine on my Bob-Cat just seized up. It was making this really funny noise and then just shut off. I looked at how much oil there was in it, and there was pretty much nothing in it. I just changed my oil 2 weeks ago, so I didn't think to check it, but I guess their must of been some leak that I was unaware of. I added oil, and when I tried to pull it to start up again, the cord wouldn't even move, and was locked up.

How bad is this? Fixable? or should I start looking for a new engine?
    If so, does anybody know of any used/refurnbished kohler engines near Detroit Michigan?

Thank you
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

brand new kawi bolt on engine was like $700 for mine a few years ago, dont imagine it could have gone up all that much.
  3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Sorry to hear. No oil float or pressure switch on these smaller units?

If I would check oil levels once every 2 weeks half of my stuff would have blown up by now.

How much does Kohler want for a short block ?
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

the whole engine is probably cheaper than the short block.
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

years back, I seized up two Kohlers..... same situation....
    one I was able to save, but it took ALOT of lube and work to free it up (ran well after too).... the other threw a rod right through the side... had to buy new.
  6. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

seized up engines are tricky. if you can get everything unstuck to even get in there and look around, usually its beyond repair. that funny noise you heard was more than likely the piston rings and eventually the piston itself scratching the cyliner wall. if thats the case than it would probably be cheaper to look for a new motor, or you could try to bore it out, but thats entirely not worth it for a small engine. my advice would be to dump the motor and take all usable parts (valves maybe, springs, lifter, etc.) and sell the rest of the block for scrap. use the dough to get a new motor
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I lost a Kohler like that. I check the oil more regularly now, and I run full synthetic. I was able to work it loose and it ran for a while, but not long. My employee, lifted the front end to remove a wire in the blades and left the motor running:hammerhead::hammerhead:.

I've had good luck with these guys here...

This should be your motor. You'll want to double check.
  8. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

I just changed my oil 2 weeks ago, so I didn't think to check it,
    Oil should be checked 'before' every start-up,even if it's just coffee break.
  9. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I have salvaged a couple small engines that got run out of oil .one on a walk behind and one on a portable air compresser .The guys pulledthe dipstick and just stared at it.I ran for the truck ,spun out the plug with a pair of pliers and pumped it full of wd and rolled it over and kept spraying and rolling .maybe I got lucky,but just staring at it as it cooled was helping .lOW OIL SHUT OFF SWITHES ARE THE TICKET.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Don't want to give you false hope but, don't give up until you have to. You really have nothing to lose. try working some oil or other lube in and around the top of the piston. You may have to take the head off to do it. The Briggs I saved was a side valve so it was pretty easy. I saved a 5hp on a blower by removing the head and letting wd40 soak around the piston rings for a while. I was able to tap the piston down using a broom handle. I put it back together, changed the oil and plug and it fired up on the second pull. Tony