Engine Selection between 19HP Kawasaki, 23HP Kawasaki, or 23Kolher Command V-twin Air

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ITL, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Lawnsite Team

I need to select one of the following engines to power a 52 inch twin hydro mower for mulching cool season grass. I would like to get the thoughts of the Lawnsite team with respect to fuel economy and engine reliability/durability.

The three choices are all V twin air cooled engines with electric start:

19HP Kawasaki
    23HP Kawasaki additional $150 USD from 19HP
    23HP Kohler Command additional $250 USD from 19HP

I am leaning toward the 23 Kawasaki to assure sufficient power for heavy grass. My main questions are: will the 23HP engines consume much more fuel than the 19HP in light to normal grass. Are their any known issues (durability/reliability/other) to be aware of with any of those engines choices.

Thank you

Wayne

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

What type of mower? Is it a WB or a Z?

I say go with the 23 because just about every mower mfg. has a 23 52 combo in one form or another.

Good luck

Rob

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Either 23 is fine. We have both Kohler and Kawi. Yes, you will see more fuel consumption btw.

4. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Lazer_Z

Mower type was/could be a Wright Stander but have been reconsidering the Wright Purchase after all the negative press on Wright not supporting their products after the sale. In addition to the early model Sentar problem post, I am hearing other comments about the Take it or Leave it attitude toward the customer and dealers. These negative comments are even from some that seem to be supporters of Wright. I need a company and dealer that will stand behind what they sell even if it takes the extra effort to correct it. So am reconsidering an ESC Exmark and starting to look at the JD Stander.

Thanks

Wayne

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

If you go with an eXmark and from what your talikng about mowing you should conisder the full size Turf Tracer 52 or 60" decks with 20 to 23 HP Kawi and Kohler engines.

I have never been on a JD stander but, I am dying to try one out they look like fun little machines to run.

Rob

6. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Rodfather

Any preference between the 23 Kawasaki and the 23 Kohler. I like the Kohler but did not think it was worth the extra money. The specifications from the engine manufacturers web sits look very close. Of course neither site lists Brake specific fuel consumption at rated power or actual noise levels. Kohler lists an oil cooler and not sure if Kawasaki has that or not.

Thanks

Wayne

7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:angry: Ill never buy another kawi again, i bought 2-21 hp motors to replace blown kohlers which both lasted 3000+ hours with little trouble. i have a 14 kawi on a 36" walkbehind and had been trouble free for 8 years so i thought what the hell.

well bettween the 2 kawi i have had to replace the starters twice, had a valve job on one because it became impossible to start, and they both burn alot of oil and i use the rated oil in the manual. both motors have less than a 1000 hours on them and i hate them. and trying to get a warranty out of them is also impossible, according to them there product is flawless and its all operator error. never, never again. tony

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not really. Kohler seems to have solved the head gasket problems they were having on some of their engines for some time.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are mulching, go with the Kawasaki 23 horse.Kohler and Kawasaki are both great motors, but the Kawasaki makes more torque then does the Kohler.