Engine Shroud Cover Question-Kohler??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sailinstud420, Mar 16, 2006.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone know if a engine shroud/blower housing off of either a 20 or 25 kohler will fit on my 23 hp kohler? Please let me know asap. Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The 20 and 22 are the same part number as your 23 but the 25 is a different number. The number for the 20,22 and 23 is...... 24 027 20S.

3. sailinstud420

Let me explain my situation. The blower housing on my 23 is cracked, it has the heavy duty canister airfilter on it, which got pulled off when I snagged a swingset. I found a guy that says he as old one laying around but he is not sure if it is off of an old 22 hp or an old 25hp.

Are the part #'s on the piece or on a sticker that was on the piece? How can I instruct the guy to look at the two and determine if it is 22 or the 25? What is the difference, size?

4. Restrorob

Thats some good questions, I never tried to interchange these I always ordered in the proper one. I don't know of Kohler putting part numbers on these housings, About all I can suggest is taking your old one and put it on a flat surface and measure the hight from the center screen hole then the width and length. Then give him the measurements.

5. sailinstud420

A novel idea, the problem is he is accross the state and my mowers are in storage. I don't know if there is any distinguishing characteristics b/t the two or not. Isn't there any really savvy engine experts around here when you need em? I will call my dealer tomorrow and hope that they know. In the meantime, any idea how much a new one costs? I was told over 150.00? The guy is willing to take it back if it doesnt work, so the worst I could do is loose on shipping it back to him....

6. Restrorob

7. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

There are MANY different blower housings on teh command twin engines. They will ALL bolt to the engine but vary as far as what type of flywheel screen you have, whether there is a cutout in the side for an oil cooler or not, whether the cover has thread inserts to accept a flywheel screen (finger guard). Most blower housing are in the $50 range.