Engine size and choice for a 60" Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Swung through my local dealers lot today (Sunday), as he had some new mowers in crates sitting outside his building. While there, I was looking at some of the other mowers he already had that were sitting in front of his building. (I wouldn't want to buy a mower that has been sitting outside in the weather all year)

Anyway ... some of these mowers were probably left overs from last season that he had not sold ... but I saw where he had like a 60" Z with a 23hp Kaw on it. Wouldn't you think that would be a little "under powered"?

He did have one with a Honda, and one with a 30hp Kohler also ... and a 54" with a 19hp Kaw. I would think I would rather have the 23hp on the 54" Z, and something bigger on the 60".

I was thinking these were just his left over mowers that he didn't sell last year .. probably because of the engine size.

Thoughts ... opinions?

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I have a 52 with a 19 hp big block kawi, not the smaller 19 kawi. Its great. I could see maybe a 23 or 25 for a 60" but any more would be a waste of gas. People tend to put huge engines on 60" decks and unless your mulching 8" wet grass you won't have any problems with a 25.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with Xoopiter. A 25 hp will do just about anything you need it to do on a 60" I personally like the kohler comand pro but thats just me.

4. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

check out my 23 hp 56" triton cut in the picture forum...its the 2nd cut of the yr...

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have a Cub Tank M60 with the 23 hp Kawasaki. Never felt it was underpowered for the 551 hours I put on it until I sold it.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I've had a 60" lazer with a 23 hp and I was miserable in this area. Yes it would do most weekly jobs fine but it had a terrible time in the spring growth in well fertilized lawns. I have a 27 hp 60" cut Lazer now and it is about right but I still yearn for some extra hp because I cut several bi-weekly lawns and the grass here is THICK. A 25 hp 60" deck was the standard for years but that would be the least I would try to get by with unless you have only weekly easily cut lawns. I also had a 20 hp 52" grasshopper that would bog down in some of my weekly lawns. I have had a 27 hp 60" Super Z and it would have been ok exept that the big pumps and motors sucked all the power I needed for the deck. It really depends on the type grass and the lawns in your area. Rule of thumb is it's better to have extra power and not need it than need it and not have it. Resale value on an underpowered mower is not so hot. Todays trend is "more power". I personally want even more than the 27 I'm running now for the bi-weeklys. Stay away from the 30 Kohlers though. Many problems that even the fixes from the company have not always resolved to the satisfaction of the owners. 25 hp minimum on a 60" deck for most.

7. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I would think it depends greatly on your area.

I have a 19hp Kaw on a 52" deck. It's ok some of the time, but inadequate much of the time. In my area when the Fescue is really growing, it struggles. If it is alightly damp...it struggles. And on my treated and irrigated Bermuda yards...it's downright frustrating.

Plan on upgrading to a SuperZ with a 54" deck and 25hp Kaw next Spring.

8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a lazer xs at my dealer with a 35hp briggs on it and just thought,''wow, what a waste of gas.'' and in my experience, anything more than 25 is overkill.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

It is overkill if you don't need it. I need it! Thick lush matted fescue with lots of weeds mixed in. Sometimes its all the 27 can do to get through my weeklys and I've tried several brands. Of course we don't have pure turf grass on most lawns and we get over and inch of rain a week in the Mid South. Most lawns here were pasture land a few years earlier. Most of the larger company's run diesels.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a 25hp Kawasaki on my 260Z and I also have several hundred hours on a Lazer Z XS with 31hp Vanguard and there is no comparison. I want up near 30hp or slightly over for a 60" deck, low to mid 30's on a 66" and mid 30's on a 72". Mid to upper 20's are good for a 52" deck.