1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Engine Size for Exmark TTHP 48"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brento, Jun 16, 2000.

1. Brento

Brento LawnSite Member

I am buying an Exmark Turf Tracer HP with 48" deck. I want to mulch with it most of the time. I can get it with a 15 or 17 hp engine. I save $300 by getting the 15 hp engine, but I am concerned this is too small. Does anyone use a 48" Exmark with a 15 hp engine? How does it do for mulching? Thanks again for all of the help.
  2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<p>Spend the money for the extra power, especially since you are mulching. The hydro pumps alone eat up a horse and a half.<p>If anyone tells you otherwise they are wrong, nuts, or want to see you fail.
  3. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I would buy the 17HP. This is what I have on<br>my TTHP 48&quot;. Take my advice and buy the biggest engine available. I do the same thing with my bass boats. You can never have too much power, but what happens when you don't have enough?
  4. The rule of thumb when buying new mowers is to get the biggest engine available.<p>Those new Kaws are too new to the market get a 18-20 hp<br>Kohler instead.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, my 18 hp on my 48&quot; scag is small enough, go big as you can!<p>Homer
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

remember--captain kirk was constantly yelling at mr. scott for more power!<p>GEO
  7. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Go Big or stay home!!You will be glad you did.
  8. Brento

Brento LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for the info. I usually go big, but I figured I would ask first.