Engine Smoking and Burning Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vball2116, Jun 15, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. I have a mower that I got from my uncle this season and it smokes everytime that I use it. I start the mower and it runs alright, but within 5 minutes from when I start it, it starts smoking. I am able to finish the lawn, but it smokes a lot. I just changed the oil and as soon as I cut it I checked the oil and it looked almost black. What could the problem be? The motor that I have is a 3.5 HP Max Briggs & Stratton Magnetron engine. I will post a picture of the engine and the mower. I will appreciate any help that you may have for me.

2. rlpenny

rlpenny LawnSite Member

Does it cut well in thick grass or seem to lose power when the going gets tough? Sounds like worn rings to me but I'd defer to a real mechanic.
  3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

yeap. sounds like you have a set of worn rings.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this is black smoke you see,The carb. needs to be cleaned and a rebuild kit installed. If its blue smoke,The engine should be disassembled and the cylinder bore checked for wear and out of roundness with a inside micrometer to determain if it can be re-ringed standard or should be bored over-size,and also check the valves and guides for wear.The crankshaft should be checked with a micrometer also for wear and out of roundness.Just by looking at the pics. I can tell thats a older unit and probably has quite a few hours on it,If it were me I'd go here ( smallenginewarehouse.com ) and order a replacement engine and forget about the rebuild process, Just ckeck the size of your crankshaft and compair. I seen three candidates for around 75.00
    Maybe this is of some help.
  5. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey guys thanks for the replies. The mower is very old because I went on Briggs and Stratton's website last night and the manual for my mower is from 1989 on their website.

6. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

If you are just using this mower on occassion, ie mowing your personal yard, you can get a little more life out of the mower. This is not a fix, but will extend your usage before rebuilding, replacing engine, or scrapping the mower. I believe its Kendall Motor Oil that has oil called Nitro 90 or 80, its a thick motor oil that will stop the smoking. Its just too thick to get by the worn rings. Have used on engines just to get a little more life out of em, with out the expense of a rebuild or engine replacement.

As I said above this is not a fix, just a temporary option till the motor gets worse.
  7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, this is the most common indicator of worn piston rings, or possibly piston/cylinder damage I can imagine.
    I once pulled a piston from a mower that looked like it came from a 2 stroke run on straight gas. THAT was a classic piece of crap not worth fixing.