Engine speed and blade engagement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ensor, Oct 19, 2004.

1. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am told by the manufacturer (Gravely) to engage the blades on my Pro G 48 with 15 hp twin Kawi at full throttle to avoid lugging the engine down too far which may cause damage to the engine. It has an electric clutch and I am concerned that engaging at full speed may shorten the life of the clutch etc. Any experience out there? Can you harm the engine by engaging at too low an engine speed? Thanks.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Every Snapper WB and Z I have ever had was engaged at full throttle. I never had any clutch failures or engine problems with the Kawis., either.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

There was a previous thread about this and most said to engage below full throttle and work up to speed. Did manufacturer or dealer tell you to engage at full speed? What does owners manual say? If you don't have one for hte machine can you download one from their site? I used to engage below full and the other guys engaged at full. Owners manual was long gone by time I started but we hadthe electric clutch replaced a couple of times.

4. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for your replies. The manufacturer says to egage at full speed both in the manual and over the phone. I was just wondering what people's experiences have been over time. These clutches aren't cheap to replace.

Thanks.

5. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ensor, I have the same machine. I engage singles at idle and doubles at full as it will die if I don't . Not sure if this is the best practice, but I went by what others recommended on this site.......Honestely for me it really won't matter as I'm only mowing my yard and will probably get many years out of the clutch going either way.

6. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Dwost,

How do you like your Gravely so far. I love mine. It cuts great and is easy to operate.

7. dwost

LOVE it. this is my third full season with it. I bought it in 2002 and have had no issues with it at all (with the exception of the belt eating issue which was easily fixed) The cut is fabulous and the build quality is unmatched in it's class. :blob3: :blob3:

8. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What caused the belt eating and how did you solve it? Did it happen when you went to higher or lower deck height settings? I have run mine only at 3 and 3 1/2" so far but want to cut at 2 1/2" for my last cut this fall. Mine is a 2003.

9. dwost

Ok, you should definitely do the fix. They may have made the change to the 2003 units but I'm not sure. I talked directly to the Engineer that designed the unit and he agreed it is a flaw from the factory. It was when cutting at 3" and above. Instead of explaining this I'll send you directly to the fix!!! :) Feel free to e-mail me if you need more info or want to chat. I've also made some modifications (striping roller, OCDC, etc...) that you may be interested in as well. Here's the like to my write up.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=46212&highlight=belt

10. dwost