1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

engine speed for kawasaki 14hp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nathan, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Our ransome 36 with the kawasaki 14hp(fc420v)has always seemed a little slow. We just got a new tt 36 and it seems the engine is screaming compared to the ransome. Even though the new engine is a 15 twin kawasaki the manual says 3600 rpm no load. Our ransome dealer is far away and not very good(part of the reason we switched to exmark)and has been no help with specs for the 14. Does anyone have a manual for the 14, and if so can you tell me the proper rpm setting. BTW we have a mini tach and it is runnning at approx. 3440 right now.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 14 Kawi on my SCAG 48". The Kawi manual, all 4 fold out pages of it!, doesn't say what the max RPM should be. All that is mentioned is "Slide base plate (E) horizontally to obtain no load maximum speed specified by manufacturer of equipment on which engine is used." However, my SCAG manual says on all troubleshooting sections that deal with poor cut...."Run engine at full 3600 RPM" I have mine set at 3710 free load and it takes it down to 3650 or so when the blades are engaged. I have had mine set like this from new and no problems so far. I wish I had a twin!

P.S. When I took delivery, it was set at 3450!!! There needs to be more QC at the factories in regards to engine RPM.

LWNMWRMN Banned

For max engine life I wouldn't run it over 3600 rpm, although you would get more peformance ( higer blade speed) by running it at say 3750 rpm.
  4. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

thanks guys, I am going to try it at 36 and see what happens.
  5. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FC420V Owners manual tune up specs say.
    High Idle speed 3250-3450 rpm.

Although I would agree with you sometimes they seem like a dog. In my case its not enough HP with a 48" deck in heavy grass.
    Let me know what rpm you decide on and how it works, I may have to tweek mine also.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All Kawasaki 14 hp engines except for code S-13 and S-17 are 3600 no-load rpm. S-13 and S-17 are 3350 no-load rpm. For more info see http://www.kawpowr.com .
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Has anybody figured out how to get more rpm's out of a 6 hp Kawasaki? I have one on a JD 21" and it seems like the idle and top rpm's isn't much difference. It cuts like crap too, so I figured I would crank it up a bit. It isn't like working on the Kohlers though.
  8. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

After seeing your post I went back to the owners manual and came across something I over looked, below the tune up specifications theres a NOTE- High and low idle speed may vary depending on each equipment on which the engine is used. If this is the case then I guess it shouldn,t hurt to turn it up a bit.

Thanks for the post.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My manual didn't mention anywhere what the free load max RPM's should be. Is your manual a 4 page fold out type?
    All they talk about are idle RPM's at 1550. I wish they gave a # to call to get shop manuals for these small engines, just like you can with trucks.

10. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

Yes its the fold out type with 18 categories,part no. 99920-2094-01. If I find someone who sells a real manual I'll let you know.

[Edited by T-Bone on 03-26-2001 at 02:48 PM]