Engine Stalling/Slowing Down

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mmacsek, Feb 4, 2004.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I hope I'm not jumping the gun by asking this but, My truck runs great until I slow down to make a turn or come to a stop. It stalls . I can restart immediatley and put it in gear and go. Any ideas where to start? Some background: 1989 Ford F450 , 460cid , 5 speed manual, Electronic fuel injection. I just bought it and didn't try troubleshooting yet. What kind of repair manuals do you use? When it stalls it sounds like it's idling low. I know it's tough to troubleshoot when you're not hear. If you need more info let me know. Other than this , it looks and runs great. Thanks Matt

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know if its the same thing, But i had an 89 ford pick up, and it would do the same thing. I kept changins sensors, etc. I sold it dirt cheap to my cousin under the assumption the computer was going on it. I still get sick......... he called me up weeks later, the air filter was clogged! 10 dollar filter solved all the problems. It ran great when I was driving, but come to a stop, or sharp slow turn, it died and then would start right back up. I don't know if you're having the same things, but please try that first, do the obvious things. I miss that truck, I still see it sometimes with lawnmowers in the back.

3. mmacsek

Adam,
    I will check the obvious first, especially the air filter. You described it better than I did. Thanks Matt

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget the fuel filter

5. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

A plugged fuel filter on a fuel injected engine usually causes surging and lack of power at highr rpms and loads as a first symptom. Won't cause stalling at idle. If it was THAT plugged up, the truck would barely get out of it's own way.....

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 88 F-450 with a 460 gasser I had similar problems I changed the fuel filters and problem solved the filter was pretty much clogged.

After I got the filter changed my mpg started to decrease because the engine had full power again giving me a whopping 4-6 mpg. If I worked the truck hard it wasn't uncommon to fill the rear tank 2 times a day deliver one heavy load of gravel she would burn 1/8 th of a tank of fuel in 30mins of driving.

7. mmacsek

Thanks for the replies. Not to sound stupid but I cannot get the Ford gas filters off. I can't disconnect the fuel line from the filter. I did buy the tool and still doing something wrong. I'm going to take it in Monday and have it done. These guys make it look easy. The filter is mounted on the frame but is tucked away. You would think with all the room under there , how is this possible. I will report back after it is changed. Thanks and have a great weekend. Matt

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

There are two plastic clips you lift up I then the fuel lines come off. When you take the lines off wear safety glasses there may be a bit of pressure on the filter you know how gas is determined to get into your eyes.

Becarefull with the fuel lines if you break them they are a biatch to get from Ford.