Engine stalls when making turns...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnJohn, Jun 10, 2004.

1. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I have a 36" Exmark wb with FC420V (14hp) Kawasaki engine.. I notice when I make turns the engine stalls (spit and sputters), but then returns to normal. Only twice has it shut completly off.

I was told it could be water in the carb, but I'm not so sure...

Should I use a carb cleaner?

Any ideas/replys would be appreciated!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It could very well be water in the carb. Look on the side of the float bowl and you'll see a small Phillips head with a spring behind it at the bottom of the bowl. Remove the screw and catch the fuel that flows out in a small container. You only need to drain a very small amount, probably a few tablespoons and then put the spring and screw back in. Look at the fuel that you drained out and see if there is any water at the bottom of the container. They would be clearly visable and would look like water droplets that would rest on the hood of a freshly waxed car. If there is water take your mower for a test drive and see if the problem is fixed.

If the problem is not fixed then disconnect the engine from the mower. There is a wiring harness on the right hand side of the engine that comes out from under the engine cowl. Follow this harness until you get to a plug. Pull the plug apart. Start the mower up and test drive it. If you still have the problem get back to me. If the problem is fixed then you have a wiring issue. To shut the mower off just reconnect the engine to the mower and shut it off normally.
  3. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Thanks for the reply!! I cleaned the fuel system this weekend and now the engine is running fine..

Thanks again!!!

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

John: I have the same motor on one of my mowers. I usually loosen the 10mm. plug on the end of the bowl. Clean the bowl thoroughly, then re-install. Be careful with the rubber gasket on the top. I would probably just lose the screw, if I ever took it out. I clean it about once a month, but then I use mine commercially. 2-3 times a year for a homeowner would be fine.
  5. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Thanks for the advise Jim!