engine still will not turn over.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Mar 19, 2001.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced the kohler with a new 20hp kohler and the engine will only start if i touch the solenoid with a screwdriver to jump the soleniod. But im not getting and volts through my solenoid to show that its bad. I tried a new wiring harness a differnt key switch and nothing is working. Im getting power right up to the hot wire on the starter. I hope to god its not the sloeniod or i will send this baby back and get a kawi. SO it starts but only when i jump the starter solenoid. The service guys at the dealer told me to touch the small jumper cable on the lonoid with a tester and turn the key and if i get power then its bad. But i did not and so im guessing the solenoid is still good. I just dont know.

Bedros

[Edited by bdemir on 03-19-2001 at 09:53 PM]

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Try putting the starter off the old engine on it. If it works, send the starter off the new one back and tell them it's no good.

3. bdemir

Eric,

Thanks for your help!

Bedros

4. bdemir

Ok replaced the starter and still nothing. Im going to call dixie tommorow cause kohler could care less. They just lead me to a dealer who knows too little about whats going on with them. Figures they would lead customers away considering the quality of their engines. Where is the customer support for the 1380 dollars i spent. lol

Bedros

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I thought that old starter turned the other engine over before you switched engines. It has to be something simple.

6. bdemir

Yes the old starter did turn and now nothing is happening. I don tknow what it is. Maybe this engine is differnt in some way than the other. I wish kohler would make it easier. I will call dixie tommorow. Thanks for the help.

Bedros

7. klite

klite LawnSite Member

If it starts when you jump the selinoid, it really sounds like the selinoid is shot. Hate to give you bad news.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Have u tried buying a manuel starter switch. can get them for about $3 at a auto parts store, the problem could be in the switch.

9. bdemir

is that all i need to get this thing going. I mean that sounds about right but i just dont want to do any internal damage to the soleniod or anything. Plu si dont feel like going through all of the wiring. I did try the other key switch of the other dixie and it did not help.

BEdros

10. bdemir

how can i contact dixie copper their toll free number does not work anymore.

Bedros