Engine surges

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kolar, Nov 10, 2003.

1. kolar

kolar LawnSite Member

2004 LZHP 2352 Kohler with 3.5 hours. Ran fine the first two times I use it, but yesterday it was surging at full rpm with no load as soon as I turned on the PTO and stared to cut the grass it ran fine. When I turned the PTO off it started to surge again. It was only about 30 deg. yesterday if that has anything to do with it. Any Ideas?

Thanks Brian

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Brian,

Dem Kohlers are cold blooded. If the engine didn't run long enough to get warmed up it's hard telling what it'll do. 30 degrees will just about guarantee some running problems for most large displacement air cooled engines. Once warmed up it should run fine though.

Did you run the mower long enough to get good heat into the engine?

Thanks

Terry

3. kolar

kolar LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure it did it even after I cut the grass which took about an hour. I'm done with the mower till next season. if we get another 45 deg. day or better I'll run it again. If it still does it I guess I'll take it to the dealer... This wouldn't have anything to do with a gas cap would it? the one tank was kinda low...

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Kolar,

It probably doesn't have anything to do with the gas cap but the fuel may have something to do with it.

This time of year a lot of us allow our fuel to get a little stale. We're not cutting as often so the fuel in the can or in the tank can sit around for a while. The colder temps and condensation at night can add a little water in the fuel and the two together can make for a pretty poor running mower sometimes.

Thanks

Terry