Engine Swap FC540V

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by STEREOJOE, Aug 1, 2005.

STEREOJOE LawnSite Member

I am really hoping to hear from one or more of you that have JD experience. I have an F-710 (homeowner) with 430 hours on it. I bought it used and probably had a problem when purchased.
    Due to knocking or "slapping" noise from the engine (mostly noted when running unloaded) I am considering buying an engine that is on a tractor that fell from it's moving home. The frame is damaged and the insurance company gave him a check for the replacement. I could have the engine (6 HOURS) for a song but it's worthless if it's not a swap. If I have to do more than shrouds and wiring forget it. I don't want to go into reasons why I'd rather replace than repair but lets say the grass grows quickly this time of year...Thanks, Joe
  2. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

it wont work i have already tried it .the 540 in the 525 i have is unitized the oil pan is part of the transmition and the crankshaft is diferent i was going to put the motor in my 265 till i found that out

STEREOJOE LawnSite Member

WOW! Thanks, couldn't seem to get any one to tell me if not and why not-almost bought it thinkin I had enough "original" stuff on the current engine to make it work but I'll pass, have mine gone through here and rebuilt.
    What a great resource for information here. I'll be visiting often and I DO appreciate your time sharing your experience with me and everyone else !! Thanks, Joe