Engine swap info for ztr

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mx495, Mar 23, 2006.

1. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I have a Ferris ztr with a Kohler CV25s w/spec number 69532. Can i go to a different brand engine. A Kawasaki 25 would be cheaper but i am worried about everything working together. Would i need a new wire harness. Also there are a lot of othe Kohler engines with the same model number but diferent spec numbers, what difference do the spec numbers make? Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The spec. number denotes different accessories that are installed on the base block engine. To install a Kawasaki You will have to replace or modify the wire harness and also find a compatible exhaust system. Is there a reason you couldn't short-block your old engine ?
    I ran across this one ; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=24522261.

3. mx495

from MO

I never thought of a shortblock, but i assume a shortblock does not have a flywheel or stator? Mine are shot.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Shortblocks do not come with a flywheel or stator, F/W is part # 24 025 14-S and list at $143.72, Stator part # 54 755 09-S is $47.57
    A shortblock from Kohler is $852.33 , Here is another option if your crankshaft PTO end measures the same, You wouldn't be far from this going a shortblock with new flywheel and stator. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=CV725S-69539.

5. mx495

from MO

Thanks but that has a 1" shaft, mine is 1 1/8" and 3 5/32" long. There are issues with a lot of stuff on my motor, i think i would feel better buying a complete motor.

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

If you went with the same engine, again, look at all of the used spare parts you would have. I do that a lot.

7. mx495

from MO

Good point.