Engine swap question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by altkolsch, Aug 26, 2006.

1. altkolsch

altkolsch LawnSite Member

Hello all..........

I have a john deere 36" w/b about a 1999 model that needs a new engine. It has a Kohler cv13t 21520. This engine is about $800. I have found a similar 15hp Kohler for a bit less. First of all does anyone know if this will work and second of all what should I be looking at as far as dimensions and whatever else. Any help is appreciated.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You can put any motor on your w/b although some tinkering may be required. But for a bolt-on. You'll need to measure the bolt pattern and compare it to the other engine, also the shaft size to see if the pulleys will fit. 15hp will be pleanty of power for it.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The mounting bolt pattern will be the same, Just measure the crank diameter and length as Chad said and bolt it on.

4. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

Rob ? how bout the bolt mounting w/ kawasaki 14 hp and a kolher 15 hp ? are they the same they look pretty close

5. Restrorob

I would venture to say they are, I can't imagine a OEM building two different frame Assembly's just to mount different brand single cylinder engines.

6. yardmanlee

Thanks I was thinking about taking the kohler off a craftsman mower that I never use and put it on a walk behind w/ kawasaki that has 2400 hrs on it
    and I believe that motor is about wore out runs good some days and others not at all and is lacking in power big time !!!! would this be a smart thing to do ? just wondering ?

7. Restrorob

If it's just sitting around snatch it off and put it to use, Thats what I would do anyway.

8. yardmanlee

thanks Rob !!!! thinks I will be doing a little wrenchin tomorrow !!

9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Take some pictures of your swap.