engine swap question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by unclepudge, Oct 27, 2006.

1. unclepudge

unclepudge LawnSite Member

I recently blew a hole in my 14hp kohler and am swapping it with a new 15 hp kohler ,my question is after releasing the snap ring on the pully I realized there was alot of pressure there and is there a special tool I'll need to reinstall on the new motor?thanks:hammerhead:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of pulley is this and where does it go, Also what kind of unit is the engine going on ?

3. unclepudge

It's an older ransome bobcat 48" and the pulley is the one connected to the engine shaft which has 2 washers then the pulleys then a cap and a spring and another cap over the spring and lastly the snap ring.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds like the variable speed clutch you took the snap-ring off. It shouldn't have needed to be removed to remove the clutch from the shaft.
    There should have been a bolt in the end of the crankshaft to hold that clutch in place, I'm not sure if there would be allen head set screws holding it on up by the pan but most likely not.

Once the clutch is off you should be able to have someone push down on the cap while you put the snap-ring back on, Thats how we do 4 wheeler clutches.

5. unclepudge

OK thanks for the tip.