1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

engine swap - recoil to elec. start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MOOSE, May 27, 2006.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Scag 52" with Kawi 14hp. I want to upgrade due to underpowered. Would I be better off to goto a elec. start. Say Kawi 17 or Kohler 18. I know I need to get a battery, battery cradle, key switch, wiring harness, cables & what else. And does anyone know the specs on the motors to use. I dont want to get one that isnt built for the mower. Meaning bearings and so on.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you might think about trading it in or selling it and buy what you want. probably less trouble for you.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I put the Kohler 18hp on our 36"WB during the winter and decided that it was absolutely too hard to strart with hand rope. I looked at electric start but that started to get into some big bucks so I took the engine off.
  4. shsmallengines

shsmallengines LawnSite Member

did this work
  5. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

the Kawa 17 should go on, and isn't bad to pull start. I wouldn't go any bigger. You will start breaking things because you are overpowering it.
  6. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

kawa 17 is very easy to pull start.
  7. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I never did the swap. Never had the time or $$ for it. The motor on it does need to be replaced.