engine swap

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by accuratelawn, Oct 22, 2001.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

How involved would it be to replace a 25 Kohler with the 26 EFI engine? I am assumming it would bolt up ok, but the wiring would be a bid concern.

2. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

The engine would bolt up but that is as close as it would get. The fuel system and complete wiring system would have to be changed. Not an easy or inexpensive process at all. The EFI system runs a high pressure fuel system that has to have a return line to the tank. With the complexity of the safety system there would be all of the extra wiring changes as well. Nice thought but not easy to do.

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Asked Kohler rep the same question and he said Kohler only sells the 26 EFI to original equipment manufacturers. He said the equipment is built to specs. for the EFI engines and Kohler doesn't sell them as a replacement for engines that weren't originally EFI's. Even if you could buy the EFI you would need new wireing, computer, fuel pump, new fuel tank control valve, etc. By the time you get all the things needed for the swap you would be farther ahead buying a new mower with the 26 EFI engine.:) ;) :) ED

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

accuratelawn,

Sorry it took so long to answer. I would have to agree with Jman that it gets a little tricky.

You would have to change 2 wiring harnesses unit and engine. Fuel system, tanks, fuel valve, fuel feed and return lines, regulator, pump, install an ECU, filters, fuses, relays, and probably drill about a half a dozen holes depending on year of Lazer you have.

I never say never, if you have a good mechanical back ground and some time it could be done. This project will take up some time so plan a head. You would need a few specialty tools all so.

Thanks, Fred.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

So the question is,how much deos a new 26 EFI cost?I thought of swapping one into my Dixie,and selling the 25hp.Vertical shaft engines are very tough to find in high HP versions.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

John,
    Are you refering to the EFI when you ask about the vertical shaft being hard to find? Because the EFI's on the Lazers are horizontal.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Runner,on the Kohler website,they now have listed a 26hp vertical shaft engine too.I know at first only the horizontal shaft was available,but a think the vertical has been out for about 4 months now,they should start to be more available soon.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! Thanks, John. It's like they say; "You learn something new everyday!":)