engine swap

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by accuratelawn, Nov 13, 2008.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a super z with a 25hp kawasaki. I need more power. Could a 28 Kaw or 31 lq Kaw replace the 25? Ease of swap?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 27 and 30 Kohler's are going to be simpler than a 28 EFI, the EFI is going to require lots of extra expensive parts.
    The 31 Kawasaki would work with a little extra thinking...
    None are a simple swap, but all can be done.

Pj

3. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

So would it be easier to trade the mower? No matter how he goes he would need a new exhaust and wiring harness correct? Also if you go to a 31hp would the clutch need to be changed?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I thnk it would still be cheaper then trading it in or buying a new mower.
    Lots of little things need to be looked at, clutch being one of them.

5. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

It is deff an undertakeing. But going from a kawi to another Kawi isnt that bad. But if you want to go from kawi to honda its a little tricky. If its just a power issue, Id sell your curent mower and go by a new one with a 31. get a brand new warranty.

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that many Kawasaki engines have increased hp with nothing more than carb differences. I'm sure that the 15's and 17's are like that... and the 23 and the 25???? Maybe there is a head and intake out there that might yield you some more power.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The block is also different from a 23 to a 25, the 25 has a oil cooler built into the block.

Pj

8. lesmith

lesmith LawnSite Member

It's not hard from at 25 to a 27/29 same bolt holes, watch the shaft length, you lose a wire to the starter, and different exhaust manifold, which you can order from a dealer, and a longer throttle cable. I think that is all I had to switch. from a 25 kaw to a 27.

Larry