Engine swap.

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hello eXmark,

Will there be any issues in putting a 17hp Kaw Electric on a 36" TTHP?

Thank You

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Fareway,

Thanks for the post. If you have a replacement engine it's pretty straight forward. It appears all you'd need is the wiring harness and battery mount. Converting a pull/recoil start engine to electric however is a little more complicated.

Thanks

Terry

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The engine will be a new 17hp Kaw Electric on a new 36" TTHP. The 15 Kaw. from the 36" TTHP will be put on a Viking 32" w/blown Kohler engine.

I was considering the 19hp Kaw electric. If you have any input on how that engine would fit it would be appreciated.

Thank You

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Fareway,

I wouldn't recommend the 19 hp. The 17 is really overkill on a 36". The 19 will most likely cost more, use more fuel and you'll never get the engine under enough load to even use all that added power.

Additionally you'd need to look very closely the crank shaft diameter to ensure they are the same size or that we make one that would fit the clutching system. It would also be a good idea to look at the bolt spacing on the engine to ensure all the bolts will line up correctly. You'll also need to look at the 19's overall dimensions to ensure it will fit on the tractor without interfering with anything else.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks

Terry

5. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Does "Helicopter come to mind?" LOL Couldnt resist.