Engine talk

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeverCreekLawnCare, Jul 29, 2002.

1. BeverCreekLawnCare

BeverCreekLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from none

Exmark has many engine options on their new turf ranger walk behind. Ive narrowed it down the the 23 hp Kaw and the 23 hp Kohler. Which brand do you think I should go for, or would I be better off with just a 20 hp Kohler. Does it make that much of a difference in the spindle speed or is it just in the forward/reverse speeds?

2. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I have a kohler 20hp on my JD Ztrak no problems so far and its 2 years old does good on gas too.

Steve

Potomac Lawns Inc.

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I've got 725 hours on my 23 hp Kawasaki....2001 Lazer Z w/60" deck.

Absolutely ZERO problems thus far.

Plenty of power for my cutting applications too. :)

I just ordered the canister air filter upgrade for it and plan to add hydro and oil coolers to it soon. I expect a lot of life from that sweet little engine.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

You have the 23 kawasaki and are geting the canister filter. Where did you find the canister filter for the 23 kaw. motor??

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Premo:

I found out about them at my Exmark dealer. I was telling him that I had heard (here at Lawnsite, naturally) that some of the guys had gotten the 3-stage canister filters on their Kawasaki-equiped Hustlers and he said he told me that finally they were available...and he's ordering it for me. What I do not remember is if they are Donelson, Nelson, or Enginaire. Any of those would be fine with me and a big improvment over the stock set-up I now have. With tax it's close to $150.

Apparantly this is a rather recent development. I asked about obtaining one last year when I bought the Lazer but the canister was only available for the Kohlers at that time...or so I was told by the same dealer.

I spoke with the techs at Diesel Power (the Nashville dist. for Enginaire) back early in the spring about a 3-stage and they said with the proper flow-specs for my engine that they could match one up for me also. All I needed to do was pop by their shop with the Lazer and they could hook some kind of gizmos up to the carb, take the readings, and match it up with the proper filter system...about $300...'pop up' dust indicator included. I would have to fabricate the mounting hardware if I took this route though.........

Check with your Exmark dealer and see if he's got the goods! :D

Next on the list of add-on goodies?? The E-Z Striper!

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the cannister system is out for the larger kawi motors. I plan to add one on the 23 kawi soon.

BTW, running the kawis daily now I didn't notice a power difference between them and the kohlers. Until I rode on them at the expo. Its extremely apparent the torque difference. The kawi motors make a noticeable difference in ability.

7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a Kawi 23 for 1050 hrs before I sold the machine it was attached to. It was a much better motor than Kohler for me.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Here's something to think about: a Kohler is alot cheaper to fix than a Kawasaki. Both excellent motors but there's a considerable price difference when it comes to parts. Now I don't know which engine needs repair first ;)
    Both really good engines, you'll be happy with either.
    :)

9. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

I am about ready to kick the 23 Kohler off the back of the Dixon and replace it with a Kawasaki like I have on my Lazer and on my Cub Cadet.

While talking with my dealer though he thought it was kind of funny, one of the other LCO's is just the opposite, we need to swap.

Kind of like the ford and chevy thing. If either was that much better the other would be out of business:D

I like the Kawasaki's and if one of my mowers went down tonight and had to be replaced the new one would have a Kawasaki even if it costs more.

Al B

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not only that should be taken into consideration, but there is also the parts availability and factory support factors to consider. Kawi parts are s l o w to come in, and Kohler parts aren't. Kohler has rather good factory support,- Kawi has NONE. Also, the machine you were refering to, must have been the Turf Tracer if it's the walkbehind, as opposed to the Turf Ranger, which is a rider. The Tracer walk behind is an EXCELLENT machine, and you are making a great choice if that's the machine you're opting for. Good luck with your decision, and I don't think you'll be too bad off, either way.;)