Engine ticking

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by topsites, Jun 30, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, it is not low on oil.

It does it mostly when the engine is cold then it dies down and usually goes away thou it re-surfaces from time to time while driving. Almost always does it when idling while higher, sustained rpm's get rid of it. Kinda sounds almost like a diesel but no, it's a gas.
    Any ideas?

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be a leak on the exhaust manifold, usually caused by a crack in the manifold. Can be easily solved with headers :drinkup: or just plain old JB Weld to fill in the crack.

3. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

my dad had a nissan truck a couple years ago that did the same thing i will see what the problem was with it

4. cndhaines

cndhaines LawnSite Member

sounds like a lifter loosing its oil prime over night and not pumping back up its a pretty common thing and a easy fix if u are mechanical u will need a mechanics stethascope to find it then remove the intake or valve cover and use a magnet to pull it out get a dealer replacement and put it back together.

chris

5. StealthDT

StealthDT LawnSite Member

What brand truck, engine, year, and miles? Could be a worn out camshaft or rod bearing.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for all the good replies, I have a stethoscope someplace but will go out and buy another if I can't find it. I'll check the Haynes or Chilton's manual for this as well, I am willing to believe the lifter theory and along camshaft / lifter rods also. If it IS an exhaust leak, uhmmm... I don't think so, but I'll keep that handy as well.

As for the other question:
    It is a 1986 Dodge D-250 Ram with a 318 carbureted 2bbl v-8, 2wd.
    Although old, the mileage is only around 125k but the people who owned it before me likely did not change the oil much, the truck burns about a quart of oil every 800 miles and yes there is a little blue comes out the exhaust but it has been doing that going on its 3rd year now, the ticking started 2-3 weeks ago - I put some Kerosene in the crankcase right before last week's oil change to see if it might loosen up some possible sludge but that didn't do it. I change the oil regularly (yes, every 3k) and it turns color but never black.

... I'll do the stethoscope thing tomorrow.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Does the older dodge 318's have hydralulic lifters? I don't think they do.

I think you need to have your valve lash adjusted, or if you actually do have HLA's, then you might have to replace a collapsed one.

I also think you have to pull the intake manifold to pull the pushrods, but I havent dont it on a dodge engine in a long time, so I may be wrong.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree sounds like a valve guide or lifter problem.

9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Worn valve guides or cocked springs are sometimes mistaken for noisy lifters. Determine which lifter is noisy. If the application of side thrust on the valve spring fails to noticeably reduce the noise, the lifter is probably faulty and should be removed for inspection. When installing hydraulic lifters in the engine, fill them with light engine oil to avoid excessive time required to quiet them during initial operation of engine.
    The Dodge 318 has hydraulic, non adjustable lifters. It uses a rocker shaft set up.. all the rocker arms are on one common shaft that is bolted to the cylinder head.
    I would also double check your oil pressure with a manual test gauge to make sure your oil pressure is up to snuff.

10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

my chevy did that right before the engine blew... It was a low-end rod knock. PITA