Engine to transmission belt (Metro)

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MacLawnCo, Jun 9, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just recently tightened my belt that is under the engine frame that goes from my engine pulley to the transmission pulley. Its rather tight, and i just wanted to know exactly how tight it should be. Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Maclawnco,

This is one adjustment that is often overlooked.

Section 5.2.3 should briefly cover the proper adjustment. I'm guessing you’re probably on the tight side. Most people will over tension this belt. You want to have 1/2" of belt deflection with 3 lbs. of pressure.

That simply means that if you pull on the belt with 3 lbs. of pressure the belt should only move about 1/2". You want to measure this at the longest length between pulleys.

Generally you can adjust it at about 150-200 hours and the simply inspect it every now and then after that.

If you over tighten the belt over time you can damage the bushing on the input shaft of the transmission.

Let me know if you have any other questions or you can call me at 800-667-5296 at your convenience.

Thanks

Terry

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Terry, as i suspected, i did overtighten.

Can you help me with one more? How about the enigne to blade belt? I supsect it needs tightened too.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Maclawnco,

It's simple adjustment.

With the machine off, remove the belt shield. Engage the blades then go back to the front of the mower. You want to check the belt tension between two pulleys where belt makes the longest run. That’s between the trim side and center blade pulley on a 48" deck or simply between the two deck pulleys on the 32" and 36" models.

If you pull on the belt at the center between the two pulleys it should only move about 1/2" with 10 lbs. of pull. Most operators can guess pretty close what 10 lbs. feels like but a fish scale works great and it also gives you a good excuse to go to the local sporting goods store.

Thanks

Terry

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

LOL! Gave me an unexpected chuckle at lunch!