Engine Trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MCS Lawn Care, Oct 10, 2005.

1. MCS Lawn Care

MCS Lawn Care LawnSite Member

OK HERE YOU GO GUYS IV GOT A kolher command and the problem im having seems to be a reving issue. here is what i mean, when i put the throttle to full the engine seems to ( sound effect) go vroom vroom vroom up and down like that. what can i adjust to make this better.

when you are done laughing at me for such a great sound effect please help a brother out

chris

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

First off, you may have water in the carb, you may have bad/old fuel causing surging issues. Most likely, your governor is toast or is out of adjustment. Post your engine model #'s and restrorob will help ya out a little easier.

3. smokey

smokey LawnSite Member

Check the obvious things first before making any adjustments. Fuel quality,air filter, broken governor spring would be a good place to start.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks lawnmaniac.

Sounds like the high speed RPM's is set a little too high, First what brand unit is this ? Does this happen with the blades engaged ? You need a tachometer to properly set the RPM's. If you post the model #'s as said I'll post the proper adjustment procedure.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

is it a 26 efi? sounds like mine before switching to close loop operation.

6. MCS Lawn Care

ok the new engin is a kohler CV20s on a dixie xw2000 this engine was installed in augest of last year. it does happen with the blades installed, if i throttle ack this problem seems to stop.

chris

7. Restrorob

Still sounds like the RPM is too high, Lower it by going where your throttle cable hooks to the engine. You will see the cable hooks to a small arm, On this arm is a screw with a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut and back the screw out a little to lower, screw it in to raise it and lock the nut. This is where the tach. is needed so you can see what RPM the engine is running. The book spec. on this engine is 3600 to 3750 depending on engine serial number,At no load with the engine warm.
    Take care

8. MCS Lawn Care

fixed it thanx to all on lawnsite

chris

9. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Mine does the same thing. Dealer said it is due to newer emission controls. They said carb has to run lean, so surging happens under full throttle with no load on engine.

10. Restrorob

Thats correct most will do it with no load, But if it does it while under load there is a chance it's running a little over the RPM range.