Engine Trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cut This!, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Cut This!

Cut This! LawnSite Member

Toro 21" engine problems:

Starts easy and runs for a while (15-20 minutes) then dies. The spark plug is very hot and the engine will not restart. After the engine cools - it runs fine for another 15-20 minutes.

Any suggestions?

2. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Here is what I would do first:

1. Clean or replace air filter.
    2. Clean or replace fuel filter if it has one.
    3. Replace spark plug with the proper heat range.
    4. Clear any debris from cooling fins.
    5. Clear any debris from under the deck.
    6. Change the oil if needed while you are there.

If the problem suddenly occured one of the above should fix the problem.
    If it occured over a period of time then I would look at a tune up with a carb adjustment.

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Is it a 2 cycle or 4 cycle?

If it is a 2 cycle Mine was doing the same thing only it wouldn't completly die it would almost though. I took it to the dealer and it was the fly wheel key once it got hot it would start moving and the engine would lose power. Something to think about. Good luck Tony

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: sounds like a coil problem.

5. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

If this is a newer mower then the electronic ignition is bad. The unit will be the coil that the magnet from the flywheel passes by on every revolution. They combined the pickup coil and the electronic ignition into one unit. New unit will cost around 35.00 to 40.00 dollars to replace. I have replaced 5 units this summer on different mowers for people. They all acted like your's.

firefighter

6. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Does it seem to run at higher rpm's when it runs. Sounds like it could be a lean fuel mixture (too much air mixing with the gas) could be loose carb fasteners ,bad gasket ,or just bad carb adjustment ,etc.

7. Cut This!

Cut This! LawnSite Member

It's a 4-cycle and the rpm's do not seem to run higher than they should.

I'll check these things out and let you know. If you think of anything else, let me know.