Engine valve lash adjustment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Boit4852, Jan 13, 2012.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

then only thing that happens if you mess it up is it bends a pushrod. that's cheap to get replaced so not really a big deal to be honest.

heck my mower engine bent a pushrod before adjusting the valves was even necessary. it was at like 299hrs and the manual says adjust them at 300hrs.

you can't really mess up if you do it right. use the right feeler guage and use the above method. works every time.

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

original poster,
    my engine was rattling and banging after replacing my head gaskets.
    The set screws were backing out after tightening the keeper nut. The problem for me was setting these things at TDC. I was setting them at 0.4??
    According to my friend and mechanic.............not working for my dealer anymore told me to set all 4 lashes at 0.6.
    I did not do the TDC.........I did one side at a time and turned the motor until one valve was completely closed, then set the lash on the opposite valve. Then rotated the motor until the next valve was completely closed, then set the other lash. Did this 4 times around the motor.
    Placed everything back and started the engine.
    No more rattle..........no more noise..........runs like a kitten's purrrrrrrrrrrr.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Um, I think you may have got that backwards. You set the clearance on the valve that is closed, not the one that is open.

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

You are correct. Should have stated, i set the valve that was not depressed inward or closed.
    Thank you my good man.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I was pretty sure that you meant it like I said it, but just got it posted backwards. After all, you said it runs great now, and it sure wouldn't if you had done it wrong.:)

6. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I did on my smaller fj180v Kawasaki engine. I just turned the engine with the spark plug out and made sure both intake and exhaust valves were closed. Basically when the side of the rocker arm with the springs comes all the way out and stops then that's TDC compression stroke. I need to do the same thing with my other mower. It ticks pretty good after 20 minutes.