Engine vs. deck size

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by watatrp, Jul 10, 2001.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the market for a new machine. It will be an Exmark. I've narrowed it down to Lazer Z HP 23 hp Kaw. 52"
    or Lazer Z 23 hp Kaw. 60"
    or the Lazer Z liquid cooled 23 hp Kaw. 60"

My question is, will the 23 hp Kawasaki handle the 60" deck?
    What are the advantages of the liquid cooled over the air cooled?
    What are the major differences between the HP's and the Z's besides about $700?

I usually run two machines and only put around 400 hrs per year on the machine.

2. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a 60" 27 hp Liquid cooled exmark saturday.

The liquid cool models should last you 2 or 3 years longer.

Air cooled may start out with 23 hp in the morning but by the end of the day it might be down to 21 hp. As it heats up it drops hp.

Liquid cool models start and finish the day with the same hp. The engine stays cooler so you also get better gas consumption.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Watatrp,

We’ve had several customers ask these same questions since we first debuted the 23 hp Liquid cooled Lazer Z a couple of years ago. For the most part our customers have been satisfied with the available power of these two engines on a 60” mower deck. On the other side of the coin we have customers that can never get enough horsepower. The Kawasaki v-twin engines have a fairly flat torque curve, which allows them to perform at the same level, as some engines with a higher horsepower rating. Both the air cooled and liquid cooled 23 hp Kawasaki’s however really like to be warm before they will effectively power the 60” deck and run efficiently. The liquid cooled in particular really needs to have plenty of heat in it before it will show you what it’s made of. I believe there are a few lawnsite members that have the 23 hp Kawasaki. I would welcome any additional feedback they may have on this subject as well. Both engines reflect typical Kawasaki reliability as well as smooth quiet operation.

It is a commonly accepted belief that a liquid cooled engine will last longer than an air-cooled engine. When you then add a canister air filter like the one on the Liquid cooled Lazer Z you should see even longer engine life.

The major difference between the Lazer Z and Lazer Z hp would be in the area of engine configuration. The Lazer Z hp utilizes a vertical shaft engine like a typical lawn mower where the crack shaft runs up and down the engine from top to bottom. The Lazer utilizes a horizontal shaft engine similar in design to what you would find in an automobile engine where the crankshaft runs the length of the engine. Both designs perform well however each offers a manufacturer the ability to use different technologies in the configuration of a lawnmower.

Additional differences would include a ½” deeper mower deck on the Lazer Z. Due to the difference in engine configurations the belt routings are different between the engine and the mower deck and the Lazer Z utilizes steel tubing in the engine deck while the Lazer Z hp is constructed completely from fabricated sheet steel. Many components from the drive system to the spindle housings will interchange and both have proven to be solid reliable designs. The Lazer Z hp however does offer a slightly lower center of gravity.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or comments.

Thank you,

Terry

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I find the slightly smaller size of the HP model to be invaluable in squeezing into back yards through fence gates, as well as the smaller 48" deck giving a better cut on rolling terrain, with less gouging.

I would buy the most hp I could with the smallest deck that would do the job. Doing huge fields, a 60" deck might save you time, but for most smaller areas, you get a better cut with a smaller deck. I do all residential, so a 48" deck is fine for me. I only spend 15-20 min. on the mower itself, and about 10-15 min trimming and blowing a "typical" $32 lawn. Saving 2-3 minutes with a bigger deck just isn't worth the degraded cut quality from a bigger deck. Also, big decks weigh more, which might increase damage from wear slightly.

5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 23 hp lc 60" lazer, The 23 hp has no problem with the 60" deck. It' s a good angine and so far I havn't had any problems. I thought about getting the 27 hp but I think it was like a grand more.