1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Engine Won't Idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JDD, Sep 21, 2001.

1. JDD

JDD LawnSite Member

6 h.p. Robin engine on Snapper commercial mower starts ok and will run all day at high rpm's. It will not idle - ever. It is also a little hard to start when it has been running for a while. Gas, plug, and air filter are ok. Someone said it might be a problem with the coil. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  2. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

like they said, it may be an electrical problem. check the coil and spark plug wire.
  3. m.o.p.e.

m.o.p.e. LawnSite Member

Try cleaning your fuel system (tank, filter, line). Then have your carburetor professionaly cleaned. I have found that the Japanese engines tend to be more sensitive to small particals in the fuel system. Coils usually work or don't work.
  4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If it runs fine at high rpm's then the coil is fine. There isn't a fuel delivery problem either since cutting grass at full throttle takes more fuel than an idling engine. Your problen is in the low idle circuit in the carb or a bad intake gasket. I would tear that carb apart and blow it out. Sometimes the idle circuit can't be cleaned and a new carb is the fix. There have been times where I've soaked carb's for hours and still not get all the passageways clean. Good luck.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Its running rich on the low end,especially if its hard to restart hot.Try starting it wide open when hot,this will help.I suspect a high float level,leaky needls/seat,or low spped adjustment is off.The air bleeds may be plugged up,blow them out,and use carb cleaner to clean up the gunk/varnish.
  6. thelandscaper27

thelandscaper27 LawnSite Member