Engine won't rotate with plugs in!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by deadbird, May 5, 2005.

1. deadbird

deadbird LawnSite Member

Engine won't rotate with the plugs in, but as soon as I take them out it will rotate freely as it can. Any ideas? :dizzy:

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It doesn't rotate at all or it is more difficult?
    The motor is under compression with the plugs in...............

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

it won't rotate with the plugs in. the compression makes it very hard to turn. are you saying that it won't rotate when you try to crank it?

4. deadbird

deadbird LawnSite Member

I'm saying that it gets about half a rotation, stops for about a second... and possibly rotates again. Like as if the compression leaks out and eventually so the engine can rotate just a little more.

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I'd say that what you're describing is pretty normal..........................what seems to be the issue?

6. deadbird

deadbird LawnSite Member

If the plugs are in the engine won't barely rotate. I can't start the engine if it's barely rotating. Also, I'm replacing the coil pack soon.

7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

What kind of engine are we talking about?

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Is the battery at full charge? I would check the battery first thing. Give make and model numbers of the engine please. You may have a ACR malfunction if that engine has one. Check battery frist before doing any thing. Check voltage on the battery when the engine off and check the voltage as the engine is trying to start. Check voltage at the starter as the engine is trying to start, you could have a power fall off from a bad connection. Post engine numbers here as well as the readingd you get from your test

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If we knew what Model engine you are having problems with we mite be able to help you out,Without that there are a million guesses.

14Yr. Master Service Technician

10. deadbird

deadbird LawnSite Member

Briggs & Stratton twin cylinder model#422707 type#1527

Battery is brand new. How & were am I checking the power? At the starter? Excuse me, I'm a newbie to this stuff! :confused: