Engine Won't Start!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BanvilleLawnCare, Sep 22, 2007.

1. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a 94' Toro walk-behind with a 12.5hp Kohler engine. I bought it used at the beginning of the season hoping to maybe get two seasons out of it since it is an older mower. Anyway, started it up the other day, finished my lawn, and then the next morning it wouldn't start. I checked it for gas (learned that the hard way) and it had gas. Then I took the spark plug out and replaced it with a new one. I checked for a spark and there was nothing, does this mean it needs a magneto or something? I don't know a ton about these engines.

2. BanvilleLawnCare

I have a smaller business but I am mowing all my lawns with an old 21'' push, it won't mulch so I gotta bag it:(. I really want to get my walk-behind fixed so any help is greatly appreciated.

3. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

The first step should be to check any saftey switches.

Scott

4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same engine i have not had any problems with it.
    is the air filer clean?

5. BanvilleLawnCare

I did check the air filter, it was pretty dirty so I tapped it out. The reason it won't start is because it doesn't have spark. Unfortunately I don't know why there is no spark. It has a new plug, and i'm not sure what else would prevent it from creating a spark.

6. Supper Grassy

My suggestion for the time being is wait for Rob to post he is the Lawnsite Repair Guru, it deals with an engine he can tell you how to slove it.

7. BanvilleLawnCare

Is there a specific forum for engine repairs, or am I in the right place?

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

9. BanvilleLawnCare

Thanks, Besides the transmission issues this sounds like the exact same problem. I removed my plug, connected the the plug wire, and pulled the starter rope, Nothing. I guess this means ignition mudule? If so how much can I expect to pay for a new one and how hard is it to install?

10. Supper Grassy

I told you rob would come through. also rob if it is the ignition coil how do they go bad?