engine won't start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Jun 8, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys i got a kawasaki fb460v 12.5 horse engine on my encore walk behind mower. I was out mowing and left the mower to move an obeject and the opperator precence lever unlached and shut off the mower. I tried pushing it down and starting and got nothing. I tried putting in a new plug and spraying starting fluild in it. Tried bypassing the encore electrical part too, so i just had the kawasaki and its wires and have nothing. Yes i have gas lol. I removed the plug and held it against the engine with the wire on the end and had no spark. Tried a new plug still nothing. Its weird and it just died all the sudden. My only thought is the coil. I hate to spend $50 on it if its not the problem n e one have n e ideas of what else to test or what to do or anything? It doesn't even start to fire. I got yards that are growing like all of us lol. Help would be much great! Thanks

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You are on the wrong forum. Try the Mechanic and Repair forum. It sounds like it may be a safety interlock switch that is causing the problem. Disconnect all the mower wiring from the motor wiring and try again. Be careful when bypassing safety interlock switches on units with electric start. If you are not careful you can send 12 volt in to the coil and fry it. I have seen it done alot. Good luck. By the way you did not say what the machine was that this kawasaki fb460v is on.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Check to make sure all the switches are on. Especially the blade& hand control OPCs.

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Just take it to a dealer. Let them figure it out.:rolleyes:

5. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

The famous igniton chip.

Big bux depending on the manufacturer of Machine and licensing agreement with Kawi.

A replacement is under fifteen dollars.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Make sure your blade pto is not engaged. It sure sounds like it has to be something very simple.

Good Luck
    Jay

7. stevesmowing

I tried bypassing the all of the safty switches and still got nothing. I think my next step in to check the igniton chip, and the connection on the spart plug. Hopefully its not the coil.

8. stevesmowing

GeeVee you were right on the money i took it to a dealer today put the chip in a good mower and it didn't spark so i got a new one and away it starts. Thanks